Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Sandwiches! Eggless Salad Sammie

I'm a sandwich fanatic.  Brad & I are always looking for the perfect sandwich in Austin.  You have to take into consideration so many variables.  The bread is my #1 - is it crunchy/soft enough, is it fresh, does it keep everything in?  And then, of course, your middle bits and pieces.  Is it too dry, too soggy, are the condiments overpowering it, is there too much up in there, is it tasty?  I definitely found my favorite meat variety sandwich!  The duck pastrami at The Noble Pig is killer tasty.  Piles of succulent shredded duck on top of thick in-house made wheat bread...paired with house made pickles and potato thins  So good.  Brad thinks Fricano's has them beat.  Fricano's is a little deli off Guadalupe.  I can vouge for them...darn good!

Although I never made it for myself...Egg Salad is the perfect food to put between 2 slices of bread!  Pair it with frisee, tomato and a little shallot and you have yourself a protein packed delicacy!



I haven't missed many foods thus far....with the EGGception of the egg ;)  The egg is this perfect, well contained, delicious protein.  An egg in the morning could keep me satisfied well into the day.  But alas, it's definitely made from an animal source...so I bid it farewell. 












I've EGGperimented (ok...i'll stop) with a few tofu recipes but I think this one from the Happy Herbivore website is, hands down, the best:


Eggless Salad Recipe

Ingredients


Instructions

If using firm tofu, press for at least 20 minutes. Give exrta-firm tofu a good squeeze before starting. Crumble tofu into a large mixing bowl. Add remaining ingredients and stir until well combined. Let set for a few minutes (this allows the flavor to merge but also enhances the yellow coloring). Stir again. Taste, adjusting spices as necessary. Add black pepper to taste and serve.
*I used low-fat firm tofu and regular salt

Nutritional Information

  • Serving Size: 1
  • Servings Per Batch: 6
  • Amount Per Serving
  • Calories 63
  • Fat 2.80g
  • Carbohydrate 5.20g
  • Dietary Fiber1.50g
  • Sugars2.40g
  • Protein6g




No comments:

Post a Comment