Thursday, February 7, 2013

Fun with Lasers


 I took an amazing class this evening through the Women Design Build organization.  They partnered with Kristen & Eve from MakeATX to introduce the laser-cut technique on food...chocolate no less!  MakeATX is known for their laser-cut paper and wood crafts and jewelry.  They have this huge laser named, Patty Princess of Power, in their studio space in East Austin.  By looking at it, you can see that it could laser through anything.  But to be so powerful and yet so delicate as to not blow our bars into smithereens was a sight to behold!  Most definitely a Princess!



Grrrr...sexy beast!  ha!

We first met with Eve and picked out an image or text and font.  Then Kristen took us over to another computer and uploaded our creation.  We took our Theo bars and placed them in the laser face down...Kristen pushed a button...and voila!  Easy peazy!

While we waited for our turn, the girls had all sorts of fun crafts for us to do.  They had a table overflowing with crafty goodness - glitter, pom poms, cute wood & paper cut-out hearts, colored pens and pencils, glue, felt hearts, colored hard-stock paper and envelopes...and my favorite....laser cut-outs to make our Love Monsters with.  I could have stayed at that table all night!

Monster Cowboy of Love
I highly recommend taking a class with Women Design Build.  Everyone and everything was lovely.

AND I highly recommend taking a class, becoming a member or buying some of the goods that MakeATX has to offer.  They are so creative and talented!  Go girls go!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rachel,
    It's Miss Terri from the Dance Workshop!! I hope I have the right Rachel Samartin, from Southlake? Kate Hagar, my daughter, just sent me this blog as I've just bought a laser and started a new business with it. Making affirmation mirrors and lots of other stuff. The chocolate bar is very interesting! Thanks for posting and if I have the wrong Rachel please forgive me. But I think this is you!!! Sending love and light Terri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terri!! You look amazing of course! Yes...it is me...the chubby Lil' tapper :). It's amazing you found this for many reasons but for one...I just started taking the Barr method fitness classes and a hip hop class on Saturdays for adults. I think about my old dance days with you and your staff with such fondness and wish I would've kept up with it. Anyhoo! Lasering! Awesome! I would love to see your mirrors and catch up more. Email me...there's a little icon to do so on home page. Or find me on Facebook and message me. Love and laser light to you as we'll :). Xo

      Delete